[Gllug] GLLUG

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Wed Nov 13 12:23:49 UTC 2002

Message from:-
Tim Clarke  (tim at seacon.co.uk)
Seacon Group Ltd / Seacon Terminals Ltd,
Tower Wharf, Northfleet, Kent, DA11 9BD, UK
Telephone: +44 (0)1474 320000
      Fax: +44 (0)1474 329946

I just picked up an email on the list about 'whine-squeak' noises from an IBM
SCSI disc !

Funny thing, I acquired a couple of these a few weeks back for a new server
and noticed they were making this exact same noise every minute or so (may have
been more or less).  At first I thopught it might be when the OS was writing
cached data back to the disc during its preiodic sync operations,   but I then
I discovered they were doing it anyway, even when the machine was sitting in the
BIOS un-booted.

The suppliers couldn't enlighten me further,   but I came to the conclusion that
the drives were doing some kind of periodic internal 'housekeeping'.  They work
fine - although I am glad the server will be in a separate room as I think the
squeaks next to me desk might get a bit irritating !!

I haven't as yet tried google for 'IBM disc squeaks', but if anyone else has
info I would be interested to know, ust out of pure curiosity !

Tim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk