[Gllug] *****SPAM***** mail attachements

Mark Lowes hamster at korenwolf.net
Sat Nov 23 12:25:11 UTC 2002

On Sat, 2002-11-23 at 00:15, Dave Cridland [Home] wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 18:21:46 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)
> "Priapus8ins" <priapus9ins at btopenworld.com> wrote:
[...]
> Your plain text message is 531 bytes (or octets for the purists).
>
> The HTML version and images weigh in at 13.2k, and have been carefully
> sent to however many people are subscribed to this list - probably quite
> a lot - almost none of whom will want it.

Hard figures time.

The difference between the plain text and and html versions of your
email (based on the above) is approx (allowing for headers) 12,000 bytes

The main gllug list has 439 subscribed addresses (I'm assuming none are
set to 'nomail' for this exercise).

Therefore this single email would have generated approx 5Mb of useless
and wasteful traffic.

This public service announcement was brought to you by WarHamsters'r'Us,
"disemboweling with a snarl"

    Mark

--
The Flying Hamster <hamster at korenwolf.net>      http://www.korenwolf.net/
Programming machines that won't think using an operating system that

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk