[Gllug] Linuxemporium - Pink Tie

Dave Cridland [Home] dave at cridland.net
Thu Nov 21 23:34:14 UTC 2002

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:06:20 +0000
Bruce Richardson <itsbruce at uklinux.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 01:20:49PM +0000, Adam wrote:
> > Its funny though, what attracted me to Debian is that I have been able
> > to install it on any machine I have ever met. I have had many problems
> > trying to install Mandrake, Redhat etc. onto various machines in the
> > past because they have tried to do flashy things with the installer and
> > use the most cutting edge software that they can find.
>
> Red Hat and Mandrake both have the option of text-mode "expert"
> installation.  Some people find the way one distro does things
> intuitive, some another.  Personally (debian user), I think choice of
> distribution is more a matter of aesthetics than anything else.  Like a
> favourite colour.

Indeed... The last machine I installed RH on was a headless thing I had
to install via the serial port.

My only real concerns were figuring out the kernel command line, and
wondering why it told me that cereal was the most important part of my
breakfast.

> > Debian I would have given up hope with Linux as Redhat wouldn't install
> > on my machine back then. Debian has a much more flexible installer than
> > any of the other distros,
>
> It's also a very unfriendly one, which not even the developers deny.

RedHat's installer is highly versatile - it's simply that if you haven't
read the documentation, it's still pretty usable under most reasonable
machines. If you have read the documentation, you don't need to even
look at it.

Dave.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk