[Gllug] Recommend ADSL router?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 14 23:39:22 UTC 2002

On Thu 14 Nov, Garry Heaton wrote:

> I have 3 machines (Mandrake, FreeBSD, XP) on a 5-port hub and have just
> signed-up for Home500 ADSL with PlusNet. The machines are on
> 192.168.1.0/24 which I want to retain by using NAT on the router.
>
> Can anyone recommend a lower-price-range ADSL router with built-in modem
> suitable for this setup?
>
> Garry Heaton

   I had no problems with a second-hand Asus AAM6000EV modem/router from
Solwise Ltd, with Alcatel chipset, single ethernet connection, configuration
via both serial port and web interface. I have a firewall computer between
the ADSL router and my network, providing masquerading and proxy facilities,
so I am not fully using the NAT provided by the ADSL router.
   They also stock a replacement faceplate splitter with the same high
specification as the standard BT one, so definitely reccommended, although
the ADSL data will then be available only at the main incoming line box.

http://solwise.co.uk

   Possibly the cheapest option would be a PCI card modem, although only one
type claims to have a Linux driver, and I would place that in a dedicated
firewall computer. An ethernet router allows flexibility, and does not rely
on any single computer for connection, but I would not even consider a USB
device. Cheap ADSL modems are now generally available from hardware
suppliers in this area, although I have not tried them.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk