[Gllug] webcaches

Adam Bower adam.bower at framestore-cfc.com
Mon Nov 18 16:40:11 UTC 2002

Daniel Andersson wrote:
> what do people have against isps having webcaches in place?
>
> blueyonder have a webcache, which i'm forced to use
> and i've never had any problems with it
>
> is the "only" problem badly setup webcaches or am i missing something?

A webcache is a great idea, except when you can't circumvent it when it
goes wrong you can't use the web. Also some caches cache more than just
http and sometimes do it very wrong, I remember once on freeserve trying
to download an 18Meg game patch via their service and they forced me to
use their webcache which had a broken version of the file. There was
nothing I could do about it and had to go onto a paid dialup to get the
file. Also caches which don't update pages in the cache and allow you to
force refresh the page are annoying. Also it can break things like http
headers etc. which is also annoying if you are in the webserver business
and need to get raw http data to do customer analysis on your products
like happened to me while working for a firm in Cambridge who had an NTL
business connection (they nearly lost our business when they said they
couldn't/wouldn't turn it off, but they did after I think we told them
we would change suppliers that day). I could probably think of more
things but you get the general idea.

Adam

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk