[Gllug] TV out

Adam Bower adam.bower at framestore-cfc.com
Mon Nov 4 12:08:33 UTC 2002

Pete Ryland wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 10:21:03AM +0000, Adam Bower wrote:
>
>>Tethys wrote:
>>
>>>Huh? For which games do you need a GeForce? UT2003 is the *only* one
>>>I can think of that requires an Nvidia card under Linux.
>>
>>Its all very well and good pointing to games that are 2 or 3 years old
>>and I am sure that UT2003 will play nicely on lots of cards in Linux in
>>2 or 3 years time but that doesn't really help me wanting to play games
>>today. Also if you want to consider the more professional gfx software
>>(ok commercial) in Linux again to get the best performance and support
>>you have to use Nvidia cards.
>

> Note that you need an Nvidia card to play UT2003 in MS Windows too.

Not according to the box or the website,
http://www.unrealtournament2003.com/?faq

<quote>
Video System: 3D Accelerator card with 16 MB VRAM (*32-128 MB VRAM
RECOMMENDED) 16 MB TNT2-class DirectX® version 6 compliant video card.
(*NVIDIA GeForce 2/ATI Radeon RECOMMENDED) DirectX® version 8.1
(Included on game disc)
</quote>

On Linux you need a Geforce or better IIRC, the TNT class of cards will
not run the game. Although I wouldn't want to play it on anything less
than my current setup of Athlon XP 1700+ and GeForce 2 GTS and even then
I have a desire for at least a GeForce 4, although I would consider a
Radeon 9700 Pro if they would play the game in Linux as benchmarks seem
to show it being the current "best" card for the game in windows.

Adam

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk