[Gllug] Flavours end - Linux begins?

Dermot Moynihan dermoyn at onetel.net.uk
Mon Nov 18 01:23:16 UTC 2002

At 20:39 17/11/02, you wrote:
>On Sun 17 Nov, Dermot Moynihan wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to get together some books to assist me in learning LINUX. The
> > version I have is SUSE 8.1. However, I can find no books specific to
> > that.  I find the SUSE manuals of some use but they don't go into stuff in
> > enough detail for me.
> > What I need to know is, if, for instance, I get a QUE book, "Using Linux,
> > Special Edition, 6th ed."  which has blurb on the cover referring to
> > "Configure Red Hat Linux, Caldera Open Linux and Debian GNU/Linux" will I
> > learn anything about Linux per se? I don't want to waste £33 on a book
> that
> > I will learn little from. As a beginner it's difficult to know just from
> > browsing in the shop whether it will be of any use to me or not. Maybe
> > somebody could even recommend a book?
> > I know this is difficult if you haven't got the book I've mentioned, so
> > maybe a better question would be: Where do all the different flavours
> leave
> > off and where does Linux itself actually begin?
> > Thanks for any pointers
> > Dermot
>
>    The problem with books, and any other documentation, is that they become
>outdated so quickly. It took me some time to discover just how much
>documentation comes with the individual packages, and where to find it on
>disc.
>Other documentation may be available with the distribution, but not
>installed by default

well, I've been rooting around and found little. Some of the stuff with
SUSE is practically illegible, specifically four 'free' books. Some of them
are actually written in a very poor font with white print on a black
background. Weird. And useless. If it wasn't for all the good things I keep
hearing about SUSE (Linux format just gave it 9 out of 10) and, not
forgetting the £60 I spent on it, I'd head for something else. I'm coming
to the conclusion if you know how to use it it's probably, naw - possibly,
great. But for a beginner, jeez.

>. For very good reasons

to give us a hard time :)

>the default location of files,
>and their internal structures, can change between versions, so even that
>documentation can be slightly out of date. I have set up two monitors side
>by side so that I can read the documentation from one computer while I work
>on another.

David Bowie style :)

thanks for your time, Chris.
Dermot