[Gllug] Flavours end - Linux begins?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 17 20:39:10 UTC 2002

On Sun 17 Nov, Dermot Moynihan wrote:

> I'm trying to get together some books to assist me in learning LINUX. The
> version I have is SUSE 8.1. However, I can find no books specific to
> that.  I find the SUSE manuals of some use but they don't go into stuff in
> enough detail for me.
> What I need to know is, if, for instance, I get a QUE book, "Using Linux,
> Special Edition, 6th ed."  which has blurb on the cover referring to
> "Configure Red Hat Linux, Caldera Open Linux and Debian GNU/Linux" will I
> learn anything about Linux per se? I don't want to waste £33 on a book that
> I will learn little from. As a beginner it's difficult to know just from
> browsing in the shop whether it will be of any use to me or not. Maybe
> somebody could even recommend a book?
> I know this is difficult if you haven't got the book I've mentioned, so
> maybe a better question would be: Where do all the different flavours leave
> off and where does Linux itself actually begin?
> Thanks for any pointers
> Dermot

   The problem with books, and any other documentation, is that they become
outdated so quickly. It took me some time to discover just how much
documentation comes with the individual packages, and where to find it on
disc. Other documentation may be available with the distribution, but not
installed by default. For very good reasons the default location of files,
and their internal structures, can change between versions, so even that
documentation can be slightly out of date. I have set up two monitors side
by side so that I can read the documentation from one computer while I work
on another.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk