[Gllug] Monthly GLLUG grammar report

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 27 23:54:32 UTC 2002

On Wed 27 Nov, Xander D Harkness wrote:

> Dylan wrote:
>

> Just because there is a great mass of ill-educated peons 'out there'
> masquerading as 'the public' does not mean that we must pander to their
> lack of will to learn.

   My dad was trying to do some research into family history, and complained
that so few people knew how to spell, or even write, that he often needed to
widen his searches to cover a range of names which sounded vaguely similar,
over a range of possible dates. This was not helped by the way that many
births were only registered if the the child survived for at least a year or
two.
   The "correct" spelling of so many words listed in reference dictionaries
often appears strange, until you hear them spoken in one of the many local
dialects, and the modern spelling then reflects the original sounds.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk