[Gllug] Physical Access Control

Adam Bower adam.bower at framestore-cfc.com
Mon Nov 11 18:39:47 UTC 2002

Richard Hall wrote:
> Grosvenor binned the project apparently after a lack of interest.
>
> It's strange I would of thought that Linux and embedded linux would be
> ideal platforms for physical access control solutions but everyone seems
> to use Windows OS for it.   I must have spoken to 15 different companies
> but I have only found one so far that offers a Unix solution and that is
> for airports (not just 5 doors).   If I wasn't so crap at programming
> I'd start a project myself.

I have only ever used a couple of systems but both of them only used a
windows computer to add and remove user accounts and configure the
system through an serial cable. The serial cable went into a box of
"gubbins" which did all the actual opening and closing of doors... I
don't know if the box was happy opening and closing doors for people all
day but it would still work when the windows box died. It could have
used embedded linux for all i know...

Adam

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk