[Gllug] Re: [very OT] Monthly GLLUG grammar report

Adam Bower adam.bower at framestore-cfc.com
Tue Nov 26 11:52:46 UTC 2002

Tethys wrote:

> When I was at school (in the '80s), English was split exactly 50/50
> between language and literature. Both were compulsory, and while I
> wouldn't say there was a strong emphasis on grammar and spelling,
> we certainly had all the rules explained to us, and were marked down
> for grammatical and spelling errors.

When did you leave school? is this early 80's or late 80's? I left
school at about 14 after getting a chronic fatigue syndrome type illness
which would have been around '92. I still remember one day arguing with
an english teacher over being marked down for spelling and after
producing a dictionary being proved correct, but not having my marks
changed afterwards to reflect this. Personally I feel the way lots of
teachers teach is like the blind leading the blind...

Adam

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk