[Gllug] Re: [very OT] Monthly GLLUG grammar report

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Tue Nov 26 11:35:42 UTC 2002

Jonathan Dye writes:

>> You left school quite some time ago, or at least didn't go to any as
>> bad as I did.
>>
>> [...]
>
>I don't remember doing much in the way of English language when I was at
>school (only a few years ago), it all seemed to concentrate on English
>Literature at secondary school and my primary school experience seemed to
>miss out quite a few things.

When I was at school (in the '80s), English was split exactly 50/50
between language and literature. Both were compulsory, and while I
wouldn't say there was a strong emphasis on grammar and spelling,
we certainly had all the rules explained to us, and were marked down
for grammatical and spelling errors.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk