[Gllug] RE: [GLUG] BIND NS Order

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Fri Nov 15 12:33:55 UTC 2002

Pete Ryland wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 11:29:48AM +0000, Xander D Harkness wrote:
>
> >Neil Fryer wrote:
> >
> >>Hi All(again)
> >>
> >>Ok, I have just one last question, before I set my DNS server up
> with the
> >>ISP is there any way that I can test externally if it is working?
> >>

> >If you have a login to an external box you can do a query directly to
> >your box:
> >
> >dig @mynameserver.org my.new.domain.org any
> >
> >or you can check that BT et al. can resolve the domain:
> >
> >dig bt.com ns
> >
> >gives a few bt nameservers
> >
> >dig @ns1.bt.com mynewdomain.org [any|ns|mx]
>

> Won't ns1.bt.com cache the first time and not give accurate results
> thence?

It should also provide a serial number which you may check.

If you try a more obscure domain it is unlikely to have cached it, then
you just have to two three new domains on average. :-) Or give someone
on Gllug a shout ;-)

Watch out with the +trace option with @nameserver - here it is not the
@nameserver giving all the responses but your local one!

Kind regards