[Gllug] Linux Advocacy

Axel Segebrecht axel at segebrecht.co.uk
Tue Nov 12 12:08:56 UTC 2002

Jason Clifford wrote:
 > On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Axel Segebrecht wrote:
 >
 >> I'm looking for a document that outlines benefits for using LINUX
 >> (or OSS in general) over Windoze (or closed-ware). I Googled for it
 >> but couldn't really find anything suitable to present to a
 >> potential conversee.
 >
 > Before you look for such a document you need to consider the
 > potential user and their needs.
 >
 > Whether any product is better for a job will depend upon what those
 > needs are and how well they can be addressed.
 >
 > Jason Clifford

Absolutely. However some people like to know more in-depth information
about it when proposed. A lot of folks have been running M$ for ages and
never heard of Linux/OSS, so they need a little convincing (more than
just being shown a simple comparison chart 'before/after').

You wouldn't believe how hard it can be to 'sell' the right solution.
Some people much rather stick to a dodgy, hard to use and inefficient
set-up just because they fear changing to something they've never seen
before.

Axel

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk