[Gllug] Linux Advocacy

Peter Childs Blue.Dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Nov 22 18:57:19 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 12 November 2002 12:08, Axel Segebrecht wrote:
> You wouldn't believe how hard it can be to 'sell' the right solution.
> Some people much rather stick to a dodgy, hard to use and inefficient
> set-up just because they fear changing to something they've never seen
> before.
>
> Axel

	Linux and windows is a bit like VHS vs Betamax.... or Mac Vs Intel
Can you sell anything just by throwing money at it?

Short Term Answer. Yes.
Long Term Answer. No

	We decided upon linux for the new system at work (To replace the old
Honeywell DPS6) because Linux is and no-one will disagree the superior system
at doing server based applications. Maybe its not the best system for desktop
users. But neither is the Bull and once its in were going to have to do a lot
of training into what it really can do! (Too Many people running windows at
home)

	So if Linux is the better system when is the first Linux only game going to
come out. Which for the windows users will come on a bootable CD or DVD and
make them reboot like the good old days. The won't complain about having to
reboot, I haven't met a Windows box yet that does not need rebooting at least
once every week. Oh hang on there are a few at work but they all run one
application day in day out and only run Windows 3.1 or Windows 95. and the
windows 95 box I'm think of did end up getting rebuilt about a month ago and
we haven't yet worked out what was wrong with it! I think the Windows 3.1 box
has been running about 1 year non stop. But there again nobody ever touches
it. (It just controls our telephone exchange)

Peter Childs

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk