[Gllug] TV out

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 2 02:14:14 UTC 2002

On Sat, 2002-11-02 at 01:02, Xander D Harkness wrote:

> I realise this and I will probably move towards ATI who I have found
> give just the sort of assistance I would hope for from a sensible
> company.  ATI have Linux listed as one of the OS' that one might use.
>  They also have a PDF which shows the capabilities and compatibilites
> for a range of operating systems from Solaris to QNX.

Yes - I've been impressed by ATI's attitude. They seem to actually be
happy to talk about their products to the free software community, in
marked contrast to Nvidia, who want the market share, but don't give a
damn about free software.

> Although Nvidia do not release any of their specs and therefore provide
> closed drivers are almost in the same as Matrox, but on the other side
> of the argument.  Doing very little in the way of drivers and Nvidia
> doing a lot in the way of drivers but not assisting with specs.

I'd rather have open specs than closed drivers, any day. I've
traditionally been a Matrox user (have a G400 Max), but was less than
impressed when they came out with their closed source HAL library with
the debut of the G450. Prior to that, they's had a sensible attitude. I
believe however that features like TV out, multi-head, 3d, and DVI
output are only available fron the G550 with the closed lib. Needless ot
say, I won't be buying one of those, so I'm grateful to have ATI
available as an alternative vendor.

> There is some really useful information on ATI's site:
>
> http://mirror.ati.com/support/faq/linux.html?cboOS=LinuxXFree86&cboProducts=RADEON+9700+PRO&eula=&choice=agree&cmdNext=Next

Not bad.

> I think I was a bit annoyed at the time that their sales staff could be
> so ill informed.

All sales staff at these companies tend to be ignorant.... The informed
ones are the exception, rather than the rule, sadly.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk