[Gllug] apache and SOAP

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Thu Nov 7 15:03:52 UTC 2002

On Thursday, Nov 7, 2002, at 14:48 Europe/London, Xander D Harkness
wrote:

> I have a colleague who is developing a web application.
>
> It is being done using SOAP, he is not a Java programmer but a VB....
> etc.  He cannot use Apache because its SOAP implementation is done
> using Apache.  The Apache SOAP  implementation is done on Java.

SOAP is just an XML grammar, that happens to commonly be sent over
HTTP. As such, all you need is some sort of server that receives and
processes any inputs. Pick a language, any language.

> Is there any other method / module that anyone is aware of.

http://developer.apple.com/internet/webservices/soapphp.html is an
article covering its use with PHP. You could also probably plug it into
Perl without having to break a sweat. Despite the hype it's not that
hard.

BTW, Axis, which I think is the Java implementation you're talking
about, isn't the only Java implementation there is:

http://www.themindelectric.com/glue/intro.html

The spec can be found at:

http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP/

Cheers,