[Gllug] Can't connect to the Internet.

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Tue Oct 29 17:46:43 UTC 2002

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 03:21:10PM +0000, Dermot Moynihan wrote:
> I bought my first ever Linux OS Saturday: SUSE 8.1 Pro. Well, after
> spending all day yesterday trying to get my external modem, which it has
> recognised, and which appears to work, to dial my ISP's number and get me
> access to the Internet, and failing dismally, I'm at my wits end.

I think the key word here is bought if I am not mistaken you spent hard
cash on the boxed set?

If you did you should have a 30 - 90 day telephone support helpline
contract, I did back in the good old days of SuSE 7.0.

If you have give them a call they should know to fix your problem and
hopefully make it easier for first timers in the future.

I had a similar problem with SuSE not getting the hang of my external
modem.  Paul Nasrat (hope I got your name right) gave me some links to a
site that told me more than I ever wanted to know about configuring a
modem by hand.

Their hand book used to refer users to their web site for modem problems
the only idiocy in an other wise great intro to SuSE flavoured Linux.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk