[Gllug] c++ newbie complier probs

Jonathan Harker jon at jonathanharker.co.uk
Thu Oct 24 23:36:25 UTC 2002

On Friday 25 Oct 2002 11:50 am, Nix wrote:
> The C++ books I rank as `indispensably useful' and keep by my side
> (except when I lose them, which is too often) are, going from most
> tutorialish to most referential:

< -- snip -- >

Wow, thanks for all the tips on the C++ books. I own "Large Scale C++ Software
Design" and "Effective STL", which are very good. They're in the same series
as the Meyer "(More) Effective C++", which I don't have. I think I'll try
them on your recommenation.

Some cool OO design books I've found useful are the "Design Patterns" book
(Gamma et al "gang of four") and "OO Software Engineering - A Use Case Driven
Approach". Hurrah for patterns!

For project management books, a game producer friend of mine recommends Steve
McConnell's "Rapid Development", which has timely (and entertaining!) advice
in it and horror stories about how NOT to run a software project, and how to
fix it! I haven't read it, but his "Software Project Survival Guide" is
reportedly good too.

Luv Jon

--
Jonathan Harker