[Gllug] c++ newbie complier probs

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 26 12:24:45 UTC 2002

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Jonathan Harker stated:
> Wow, thanks for all the tips on the C++ books. I own "Large Scale C++ Software
> Design" and "Effective STL", which are very good.

I've heard of both of these but never got round to getting them. I should.

>                                                   They're in the same series
> as the Meyer "(More) Effective C++", which I don't have. I think I'll try
> them on your recommenation.

Run, don't walk...

There's a CD-ROM which has both on it and a few extra, but I much prefer
to read books for this sort of thing.

> Some cool OO design books I've found useful are the "Design Patterns" book
> (Gamma et al "gang of four") and "OO Software Engineering - A Use Case Driven
> Approach". Hurrah for patterns!

Design patterns *are* rather useful, yes --- although some of the
patterns in there are so dementedly complex it's not true :(

> For project management books, a game producer friend of mine recommends Steve
> McConnell's "Rapid Development", which has timely (and entertaining!) advice
> in it and horror stories about how NOT to run a software project, and how to

Shall get :))) if only for the horror stories... (let me guess, many of
them are from government projects ;) if not, they should be!)

--
`The tooth fairy teaches children that they can sell body parts for money.'
                       --- David Richerby

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk