[Gllug] slightly OT - linux consultancy enquiry

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Fri Oct 25 10:57:14 UTC 2002

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Garry Heaton wrote:

> I hear everywhere the claim that Linux is a cheap alternative to Windows
> but is it really, considering the consultancly fees? Can someone tell me
> how Linux works-out cheaper for a small business which is already using
> Windows (95/98/NT)? Apart from the stability factor, why would some
> small office with an NT4 server go to the trouble of replacing it with a
> Samba/Linux machine if it's going to cost £750/600 per day to set-up?

When was the last time you called out a consultancy firm to set up a
Windows network?

You will pay just as much, if not more, and you will also have to pay
license fees and higher ongoing maintainance costs.

The reason people often think that it's cheaper to set up a small Windows
network is that they get some inexperienced M$CE (or the owner's friend's
son) to do the work and then later end up with a fubar network. I used to
do a fair bit of consultancy in the Windows/Novell arena in the '90s and I
spent a lot of time (and earned a lot of money) fixing such networks.

> I ask because I am training myself to offer such a service :-) but have
> nagging doubts that no-one will want to pay for it.

I believe that you get what you pay for.

If you want a network that meets your needs properly and is reliable it
will cost a bit to get it in place.

If you needed an extension to your home would to prefer reputable
surveyors and builders to do the job or a local cowboy who has "done one
or two of those in the past"? The same question is relevant to setting up
a computing envirnment for a business.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign Up Now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk