[Gllug] slightly OT - linux consultancy enquiry

Martyn Drake martyn-d at moving-picture.com
Fri Oct 25 11:03:07 UTC 2002

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 22:01:18 +0100 Garry Heaton wrote:

> Windows but is it really, considering the consultancly fees? Can
> someone tell me how Linux works-out cheaper for a small business which
> is already using Windows (95/98/NT)? Apart from the stability factor,
> why would some small office with an NT4 server go to the trouble of
> replacing it with a Samba/Linux machine if it's going to cost £750/600
> per day to set-up?
>
> I ask because I am training myself to offer such a service :-) but
> have nagging doubts that no-one will want to pay for it.

In previous jobs whereby a Linux solution is called for a central
file/internet access/mail server, I have prepared a hard disk with the
necessary configuration based on what hardware the client has at their
end.  Some cases, the client has gone out and bought hardware to my
specifications.

The hard drive is then shipped to client and is installed by one of
their techies.  The client then should have a working Linux server
environment.  Their client machines are then configured over the phone
to talk to the Linux server, and I have had few problems with this
approach.

If something nasty has happened to the server which cannot be resolved
over the phone, but the server is still operational - I have arranged
SSH access into the machine to fix things.  In all the time I had been
doing things this way, I have never had to set foot into my client's
premises :)

As for the cost of doing this - I'm not really sure as that was up to
the management and the client to decide.  Obviously the cost of the hard
disk and the shipping to get it up to them was included within the final
price (which could have been 500-600 quid for the entire the install and
configuration process, then a small monthly charge for maintenance)
price, but I seem to remember they got this service for quite a
reasonable price in the end.

Regards,

	Martyn

Martyn Drake                 | Email :    martyn-d at moving-picture.com
Systems Administrator        | Web   :  http://www.moving-picture.com
The Moving Picture Company   | Phone :            +44 (0)20 7494 7853

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk