[Gllug] Reason behind groups

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Tue Oct 15 13:47:57 UTC 2002

Hi,

I've noticed several distributions that by default set the group of new
users to have the same name as the user.
i.e.

User X has primary group X

but I can't see a good reason to have it this way.  On all the systems that
I've used before the users are members of meaningful groups like 'students'
or 'software' etc which means you can allow read access to your peers but
no-one else.  With the above scheme you can only allow access to yourself as
each group only has one user.
Can anyone suggest why it is this way?

JD

--
Jonathan Dye, The Automation Partnership(Cambridge) Ltd
Registered Office: York Way, Royston, Hertfordshire, SG8 5WY, UK
mailto:jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk