[Gllug] Debian versions

Adam Bower adam.bower at framestore-cfc.com
Wed Oct 30 10:12:10 UTC 2002

Jonathan Dye wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently running debian woody but I want to install a couple of
> packages from testing (along with any of the dependencies it needs.  Could
> someone suggest the best way of going about this?
>
> apt-get install <packagename>/testing
>
> seems like the right thing but that needs testing in my sources file, which
> would cause everything to update wouldn't it?

No, it will just install that package and its dependencies, and their
dependencies... apt-get dist-upgrade is what takes things from system to
system although you may want to change the sources.list then do the
apt-get install but with whatever the flag is for pretend (-p? no debian
box here to check on) just to see if its going to do anything dangerous.

Adam

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk