[Gllug] Debian versions

Steve Nicholson yahoogroups at yoursolutions.com
Wed Oct 30 12:37:52 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 10:12, Adam Bower wrote:
> Jonathan Dye wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm currently running debian woody but I want to install a couple of
> > packages from testing (along with any of the dependencies it needs.  Could
> > someone suggest the best way of going about this?
> >
> > apt-get install <packagename>/testing
> >
> > seems like the right thing but that needs testing in my sources file, which
> > would cause everything to update wouldn't it?
>
> No, it will just install that package and its dependencies, and their
> dependencies... apt-get dist-upgrade is what takes things from system to
> system although you may want to change the sources.list then do the
> apt-get install but with whatever the flag is for pretend (-p? no debian
> box here to check on) just to see if its going to do anything dangerous.

I have a file in /etc/apt/apt.conf with the line
APT::Default-Release "stable";

Add this then add testing to your sources list (I also have unstable)
then do apt-get update.  The update will fetch the new packagelists not
update the packages:).

then apt-get install <packagename>/testing will work fine grabing the
dependencies required and leaving everything else as stable(woody)
version.  I read about pinning but got confused with it, maybe more
complicated than I need, I think it's more for packages you have
compiled with your own options and don't want them over written.

It's worked well so far for me.

Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk