[Gllug] Volunteers needed for Install Fest

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Thu Oct 24 17:19:15 UTC 2002

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Tethys wrote:

> He's almost certainly referring to the fact that you can no longer use
> the redhat-logos package directly. If you resell a CD of RH8 that you
> burned after downloading it, you have to replace the RH logos with your
> own. Not only is that perfectly reasonable, but it's also something
> they legally *have* to do unless they want to lose the rights to their
> own logo.

That isn't actually true.

They could have simply licensed their logo as they had previously done.

I agree that they are within their rights to do as they have. I just think
that RH are shotting themselves in the foot as the community is their only
real form of publicity. If everyone starts recommending Mandrake or Debian
or $OTHER in place of RH it's RH that will loose out.

> Interestingly, I believe Debian, long championed as the "most
> free" distribution, has been doing this for a while now (before RH did):
>
> 	http://www.debian.org/logos/#official-use

There is a very substantial difference.

Anyone shipping Debian without amending it or including an "official"
Debian distro as part of another product may use the official logo to
identify it.

Debian also provide another logo - just the swirl without the lamp - that
is free for use for other circumstances as well.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign Up Now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk