[Gllug] Volunteers needed for Install Fest

Martyn Drake martyn-d at moving-picture.com
Fri Oct 25 11:50:12 UTC 2002

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 12:09:50 +0100 Tethys wrote:

> :-) FWIW, I think you have a right to be proud of your products, but I
> think you've really screwed up with RH8. I don't care about the
> removal of MP3 players (all my music is in Ogg Vorbis anyway :-). But
> Bluecurve is a horrible mistake -- not the concept, mind. I think
> having a common look and feel to the desktop is a great idea. But why
> did you have to make it so *ugly*? MS may have made XP look like it's
> made of playdoh, but there was no need for RH to follow suit!

It's still early days for this sort of thing - and besides which I think
it's a pretty damn good for a first time effort at Linux desktop
unification.  As for MP3 players - XMMS is still included within the
distribution, I believe.  My only real complaint with Red Hat 8.0 is
that the Display application is buggy, and Nautilus is still a pig.
Even on my home Pentium IV 1.7Ghz box with 1Gb RAM, it still feels so
ruddy slow.

If it's a step closer to getting more people switching over to Linux,
then surely this is not a bad thing?  I'm sure with more feedback and
prodding from the Linux community, Red Hat will incorporate the missing
stuff from this release into the next.  However, who can say?

> And of course, the removal of half of the programs I use on a daily
> basis(fvwm2, rxvt, ical) didn't help, either...

:(  I do agree that this is a bad thing(tm).

Regards,

	Martyn

Martyn Drake                 | Email :    martyn-d at moving-picture.com
Systems Administrator        | Web   :  http://www.moving-picture.com
The Moving Picture Company   | Phone :            +44 (0)20 7494 7853

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk