[Gllug] Mandrake 9.0

Eugene Grimsdell eugene at osdomain.osram.co.za
Thu Oct 3 14:51:07 UTC 2002

Ok now I am going to bang my head a couple of times against the wall, chuck my P4 in a dusban and set my car alight !!!!!!!!!!

I have just done a fresh install of Mandrake 9 and it brings up eth0 with no errors and standard security. The problem is that I tried 2 diffrent network cards and I still cant ping any system around me (nor can I browse the net) I took a knoppix cd, poped it into the cdrom and booted on the same system... and I am Writing this email via knoppix so that means there is no problem with my network card.

Can anybody tell me where to start looking ?

Using a 3com 905B and a Realtek 8139 and on both it loads the right modules but still no network.

I can ping the local Ip address but noware beyond.

PS I have installed 3 times with difrent network setings from static to dhcp and still no luck. ifconfig reports no problems when ading eth0 manually.

routing table is correct...........off to go bang head.

Please help and thanx

Please note that Internet communications are not secure and therefore OSRAM (Pty) Ltd. does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of OSRAM (Pty) Ltd. shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk