[Gllug] Anti-virus

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 24 21:57:16 UTC 2002

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Tethys spake:
>                       sufficient control over MIME attachments. I need to
> be able to specify, on a per-attachment basis, the content-type and
> transfer-encoding. Does anyone know of any Linux MUAs (apart from exmh,
> which I'm now using) that support this?

Gnus, of course. :)

If you attach something via `M-m f' or whatever, it doesn't actually
*do* the attachment; instead it sticks some MML (`MIME manipulation
language') code into the email, which is parsed into the appropriate
form at send time;. It's all documented in the emacs-mime info book, but
it looks like (nicked from the info book 'cos I'm too lazy to make my
own arcane example, even though it's only a few keystrokes and certainly
much easier than typing this long excuse in)

<#multipart type=mixed>
<#part type=image/jpeg filename=~/rms.jpg disposition=inline>
<#multipart type=alternative>
This is a plain text part.
<#part type=text/enriched name=enriched.txt encoding=8bit>
<center>This is a centered enriched part</center>
<#/multipart>
This is a new plain text part.
<#part disposition=attachment>
This plain text part is an attachment.
<#/multipart>

You should have known by now: Gnus can do *anything*. ;}

(You can quote these tags for transmission with `M-m q'
(`mml-quote-region'), which adds bangs after the leading hash
characters; mml strips them out again before transmission.)

--
`The tooth fairy teaches children that they can sell body parts for money.'
                       --- David Richerby

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk