[Gllug] Problems with CD-Writting

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Wed Oct 23 13:41:34 UTC 2002

Hi guys,

I'm having problems writting CD's (It is an IDE cd writer Acer 20 10 40
soemthing) under linux (debian3 kernel 2.4.18).  I can't seem to write a CD
without getting errors on it (i.e. a diff with the orginal show
differences).  What seems to be happening is that I'm getting buffer
underrun on the drive as it stops writing momentarily.  I can't see why as I
have cdrecord's fifo set to 16Mb and it doesn't drop below 90%, the writer
is on it's own channel and even if I did get under-run the drive is supposed
to have BURN-Proof which according to cd-record is switched on. I've tried
slowing down the writing from 20x to 8x and still got a bad write (although
I didn't notice the drive stop writing but I didn't watch for the whole 10
mins).  I've also tried turning DMA on and off by using hdparm on the
/dev/hd* entires (which seems to work even though I'm using ide-scsi) and
turning it off means I can't spool data quick enough for 20x anyway.
I was hoping someone would have a suggestion as to what I could do to stop
this happening (appart from buy scsi!).
I'm currently compiling the kernel with less crud and the preemptive patch
to see if that improves the situation.

JD

--
Jonathan Dye, The Automation Partnership(Cambridge) Ltd
Registered Office: York Way, Royston, Hertfordshire, SG8 5WY, UK
mailto:jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk