[Gllug] Wide eyed and innosent new members 21/10/02

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Wed Oct 23 13:19:54 UTC 2002

Mark Lowes wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 13:23, Magnus Nilsson wrote:
>> On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 12:42, will wrote:
>>> I had no luck getting RedHat or MDK to install on a 486. I don't
>>> know if Debian will, but I guess it is more likely.
>> Debian installs fine on a 486. It worked for me about 4 months ago.
>
> Been running debian on a 486dx100 for years now, no problems (apart
> from that the machine is aging rapidly and starting to creak round
> the edges).

I'm running debian 3 on a 486 DX4-100 with 2.4.18 and it complains that
there is 'Too much work at interrupt' which I think is related to the
network card (rtl8139) but I never had this problem with redhat7 on 2.2.19
or FreeBSD 3.  I assumed it was the kernel and added the preempt patch to
try and help it out but I still get the problem (although not as much).

JD

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk