[Gllug] Which IMAP for Debian?

John Edwards John.Edwards at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Oct 14 09:45:05 UTC 2002

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 08:19:51AM +0100, Robin Smith wrote:
> I want to setup an IMAP based mailbox on my main Debian server.
> Which one should I install?
>
> I will be accessing it locally with evolution and remotely with my
> Zaurus.
>
> Any pitfalls?
>
> Robin

Hi
I've used three of the main IMAP daemons, in order of complexity:

1) University of Washington (aka UW-IMAP IMAP2000). Very basic,
no shared folders, mail must be in mbox files in /var/spool/mail.
Simple install but no change in configuration is possible without
editing the source code and recompiling. Does not support IMAP over
SSL/TLS. Several past security problems.

2) Courier IMAP. Part of the Courier email system but usable on
it's own. Reads email from Maildir directories, so that limits
your choice of MTA/MDA to Qmail or Courier, or you might be able
to use one of the others with procmail (never tried that). Shared
folders are possible but difficult, as they use the underlying
file permissions and so often need shell access to change.

3) Cyrus IMAP. Stand alone IMAP server which stores email in it's
own email format. Email is sent (eg via a pipe) by the MTA to Cyrus'
own deliver agent, so it will work with almost any MTA. It has a very
flexible ACL and quota system and users don't need local accounts.
The system seems designed for the large scale, documentation is good
but occasionally outdated.

I would say if you've only got a few users, no security needs, use
sendmail and want an quick setup then use UW-IMAP. If you've got an
existing Maildir system then use Courier. For everything there is
Cyrus.

--
|      John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com            |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk