[Gllug] Which IMAP for Debian?

itsbruce at uklinux.net itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Oct 14 09:39:11 UTC 2002

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 08:19:51AM +0100, Robin Smith wrote:
> I want to setup an IMAP based mailbox on my main Debian server.
> Which one should I install?

For simple, personal use UW-Imap is fine and has the benefit that on
almost any *nix system it will work out of the box with the existing
mail delivery set-up.

Courier IMAP is the next stage up, in terms of features and power.  2
caveats on that one: firstly, you'll need to set up your local delivery
agent to do maildir, unless you already use that and secondly the
Courier developer, Sam Varshavchik, has an unfortunate attitude to
standards (if he thinks any part of the IMAP standard is stupid or
inferior, he breaks it) and a djb personality type.  This has caused
problems for a number of IMAP clients in the past and may do for
Evolution, which has a reputation for being a bit fragile.

--
Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk