[Gllug] Can't connect to the Internet.

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Mon Oct 28 22:04:00 UTC 2002

Dermot Moynihan(dermoyn at onetel.net.uk)@Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 03:21:10PM
+0000:
 > I bought my first ever Linux OS Saturday: SUSE 8.1 Pro. Well, after
 > spending all day yesterday trying to get my external modem, which it
 >has recognised, and which appears to work, to dial my ISP's number and
 >get me access to the Internet, and failing dismally, I'm at my wits
 >end. The modem does work - I have Mandrake on another H/D and I
checked >it there and I was able to get on the Internet no problem.

Why not just stick Mandrake on?
Here's the references to two excellent articles on how to use command
line tools alone to connect to the internet under Linux.

and

They also explain how to set things up to view the logs for
connection/error messages.
If you are really struggling they may help. FWIW Mandrake uses kppp
and I think Suse uses wvdial. You can just use pppd chat and minicom as
described in these articles.

Regards,
Mark Preston

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk