[Gllug] Temporary bash corruption

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Mon Oct 14 11:41:51 UTC 2002

Hi,

A strange thing happend to my machine over the weekend.  I had been merrily
working away for a few hours using various terminals and then suddenly when
I opened a new terminal it would immediatly exit.  I tried logging in to a
virtual terminal ( rather than a terminal in x ) and got the same thing.
After playing around for a while I discovered that if I tried to run bash
from an already open terminal it would exit immediatley with a segmentation
fault.  I managed to get it to dump a core file but then realised I didn't
have a debugger and no way to install one as I couldn't log in as root.  I
copied bash from my other PC (Same version, same distribution) and did a
diff which reported that the files were different.  I eventually gave up
trying to save my machine and rebooted.  After re-booting everything worked
fine!  Doing the same diff reported that the files were identical.  Examing
the log files showed nothing unusual.  I don't have any idea where to start
looking for the cause and wondered if anyone could suggest anything.

For your info I am running debian 3 with the supplied kernel 2.4.18-k7 and
using ext3 on all my filesystems.

JD

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk