[Gllug] security swipe cards

Matthew Thompson matt at actuality.co.uk
Mon Oct 14 13:08:15 UTC 2002

On Monday, October 14, 2002, at 12:33 PM, George Saxby wrote:

> Hi,
>  I have been tasked with setting up a secure room / computer usage
> swipe card system & of course I would like it linux based.
>  Anybody ever actually done this & care to make recommendations?

How many entry cards/staff are going to be accessing it?

It may be easier to purchase an entry system which does the security
itself but can output data to a serial port which you monitor with your
linux system.

This is what we've done in the past and it has to advantage of not
relying on the computer to be up to authenticate cards and allows pin
number and key over-ride of the door magnet.

M at t :o)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk