[Gllug] Maths Books [OFF TOPIC]

Jackson, Harry HJackson at colt-telecom.com
Fri Oct 18 16:11:45 UTC 2002

I remember reading about an interview someone had with either Kernighan or
Ritchie and he said that universities should not be teaching applications as
that is the job of the employer, they should be teaching the fundamentals.
When you look around at courses you can see that there are a lot that are
dedicated to flavour of the month topics, although in the tech industry you
could consider 90% of everything being taught flavour of the month. Having
done three subjects that will be out of date themselves in years to come I
decided that I would do maths. It is a subject I enjoy and although it is
not strictly in vogue it is certainly _never_ going to go out of fashion the
way other types of subjects tend to.

> >Stroud does go over most of the stuff but his books are very fast and
> >very sparse in explanatory text, if you do not get each step then you
> >are buggered, there is no attempt to see things from any other angle.
>
> Yep, a valid criticism, I guess. To be fair, I've mostly used
> his books to brush up on stuff I already knew, and for that, they're
> great.

I agree, his books are good and I would not put them down for someone who
wants to just brush up on a known subject but I would not recommend them to
start on.

COLT Telecommunications
Registered in England No. 2452736
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4 Norton Folgate, London E1 6DQ
Tel. +44 20 7390 3900

relationship between COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or
affiliates ("COLT") and you. Internet communications are not secure
and therefore COLT does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.  Any view or opinions expressed are those of
the author. The message is intended for the addressee only and its
contents and any attached files are strictly confidential. If you have
received it in error, please telephone the number above. Thank you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk