[Gllug] Maths Books [OFF TOPIC]

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Fri Oct 18 15:52:35 UTC 2002

Jackson, Harry wrote:
>> From: Tethys [mailto:tet at accucard.com]
>>
>> BTW, Harry, you say you've done up to equivalent of A level, yet
>> imply you haven't covered calculus. Is that right? Certainly I did
>> calculus even at pre-A level. I assume you want this for your game
>> engine. Does Stroud not give you the info you want for that?
>
> I have covered differentiation and integration but for some reason in
> maths 3 we did not do any matrice work. Admittedly this is linear
> algebra but I have been writing some bits and bobs using OpenGL for
> an engine of sorts and they are great for this sort of stuff. This is
> also the reason why I have decided to study maths next year rather
> than UML/Java, maths is not going to disappear in my lifetime but I
> doubt Java will still be around.

I didn't cover matrices in my A-Level maths course either which I found a
bit of a problem later when doing 3D graphics stuff.  I also didn't do any
proofs, both things were in the Further maths A-Level.  They used to both be
in the one standard maths A-level as far as I can see as all the old text
books on 'A-Level maths' included them. One of my lecturers was surprised
when he learnt that I didn't do differentiation at GCSE but he was a bit out
of touch.  Strange really seing as he was head of admissions.

JD

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk