[Gllug] Javascript Books

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Oct 24 11:57:59 UTC 2002

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 12:01:42PM +0100, Tethys wrote:

> >I have a feeling that 'javascript' embedded into the web form may
> >provide the answers. If that is the case, then I should appreciate some
> >recommendations as to a good book to buy.
>
> Javascript certainly makes this possible, but like Wulf says, it's not
> without pitfalls. What happens if the user has Javascript disabled, for
> example, or if they're using, say, lynx.

Javascript can rewrite the contents of an html page or of specific
elements.  So it should be possible to write a straightforward html
form that would cater for non-javascript clients and add to it
Javascript that rewrites sections of the page as needed (scripts that
obviously wouldn't trigger in a non-javascript browser).

Be sure to stick to the subset of Javascript that is supported by all
the commonly-used Browers.  For these requirements that shouldn't be
hard.  Wrox do a "Beginning Javascript" book that I think you would find
helpful.  ISBN 1-861004-06-0

--
Bruce