[Gllug] Wide eyed and Innocent new members.

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Thu Oct 24 12:46:08 UTC 2002

Adam Bower wrote:
> Stephen Harker wrote:
>

>> Do you mean dist-upgrade to mean taking a machine from say Potato to
>> Woody, or do you mean a daily security update which only ever upgrades
>> things that need patching?
>

> Going from slink to potato, is what I have done in the past on machines
> with users in a commercial setting, and I have gone from slink to potato
> to woody at home on the same box over the past couple of years.

Right. Well, in that case, I would be very careful about upgrading a
"production" machine from $version to $version+1 using anything at all
without testing it all first on an identical machine or something. But
that is just common sense. If there wasn't a real need to upgrade the
server and the older version (eg potato) was still being supplied with
security patches and was working fine, I wouldn't even do the upgrade.
But as for keeping on top of security updates, "apt-get update ; apt-get
dist-upgrade" run from /etc/cron.daily and a sensible "sources.list"
seems to do an excellent job of keeping a running machine tight.
Occasionally it barfs on a download or something but I check it fairly
regularly. Debian are pretty conservative with these updates and are
pretty rigorous about testing these patches first so it practically
always "just works". At least this is my personal experience. Others may
have a different story.
Steve

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk