[Gllug] Sendmail and hostnames

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Tue Oct 8 08:00:04 UTC 2002

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Jonathan Dye wrote:

> I'm trying to configure sendmail by editing sendmail.cf and I'm a bit stuck.
> My box has the dns entries <something>.org and <something>.co.uk
> I want email that is sent from the box to have <something>.org appended to
> any emails where the from is just the username.  However, if I specify the
> email address to be jon@<something>.co.uk I don't want it to be re-written
> to jon@<something>.org.
>
> I haven't worked out how to do this yet, I tried:
>
> Cw<something>.co.uk
> Cw<something>.org

These will handle incoming email so are not relevant.

> DM<something>.org

This is the rule that is causing you problems.

If you want to selectively rewrite outgoing headers you cannot use DM you
have to use the generics table feature to selectively rewrite outgoing
email.

See the relevant section in http://www.sendmail.org/m4/features.html for
more details.

Jason Clifford