[Gllug] Linux on a Compaq AP400

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Thu Oct 17 23:16:11 UTC 2002

All,

I've just acquired a Compaq AP400 workstation that I'm planning to use for
my main office desktop. Spec is dual PIII/600, 256Mb RAM, 9Gb SCSI HDD.

I have two hardware related problems that perhaps someone can shed some
light on:

1. It seems very flaky with both processors in. I suspect a slightly dodgy
PSU but has anyone seen similar behaviour and can they confirm the
diagnosis ?

2. I've installed redhat 8, just for a look at bluecurve (it looks
fantastic btw :) but whenever I do a reboot or a power off it refuses to
restart properly. The Ethernet card, which is normally actice all the time
the power cord is in for the Wake-on-Lan functionality goes off and won't
restart. Secondly the SCSI controller refuses to re-initialise. Again, has
anyone seen similar behaviour and/or know of a fix ? There's a thread in
linux.redhat.install [1] which talks a about a very similar set of
symptoms but there was no resolution.

Thanks,

Simon.

[1] http://makeashorterlink.com/?S2D951B22