[Gllug] Starting on Linux

Jonathan Harker jon at jonathanharker.co.uk
Fri Oct 18 02:50:29 UTC 2002

On Friday 18 Oct 2002 12:15 pm, Dave Cridland wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 23:46, Chris Stone wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm thinking of starting to use Linux and I am a home user. Which Linux
> > distribution would you recommend please, and where could I buy a PC with
> > the relevant software installed?
>
> If you just want to get on and use Linux, then take a look at any of
> RedHat, Debian, and probably SuSE as well.

http://www.computer-division.com/ Computer Division, based in Stirling,
Scotland sell PCs with Mandrake Linux preinstalled. Talk to Zahir
zahir at computer-division.com and tell him I recommended him!  :-)  He's a good
mate and I used to buy lots of gear for both work and myself from them.

If you choose to DIY the Linux install, and have never clapped eyes on a
Unix-like system before, and are using it mainly as a Windows replacement
workstation (eg. web surfing, email, office apps, photo-phiddling, music,
etc), I suggest Mandrake, simply because they hold your hand through the
install a bit more. (NB. fellow geeks, I am _NOT_ knocking RH Suse, debian,
or [insert favourite distro here], which are all excellent <B>once you know
your way around</B>, this is just my opinion, #include <stddisclaimer.h>,
etc)

ALSO NOTE - If you are buying a new computer to use with Linux at home:

Make sure that if you are getting a 56K modem, to get a proper hardware modem
(preferrably an external one with flashy lights on it), since most cheap
internal cards are only designed to run on Windows. Other than that, you
shouldn't have any major dramas with 99.9% of the hardware out there.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on...

Cheers,
Luv Jon

--
Jonathan Harker