[Gllug] Maths Books [OFF TOPIC]

SteveC steve at fractalus.com
Fri Oct 18 12:38:58 UTC 2002

* Jackson, Harry (HJackson at colt-telecom.com) wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am in need of a decent book on pure maths. I have done maths to level
> three 9 years ago (A level equivalent but not as broad subject range and
> more engineering based) but would like a book that explains from first
> principles and covers as much as pure maths as you would expect to cover
> during a degree. Please do not recommend some crazy book of a similar ilk to
> some of Knuths work or post grad maths as I would not be able to read it and
> I would waste my time going to try and find it. What I basically need is a
> book that I can use for self study as its an OU course and covers A
> level/undergraduate pure mathematics in an easy to follow way.
>
> I have looked at some calculus books etc but so far they have a tendency to
> skip fundamental items assuming the reader has this knowledge. I have also
> got Strouds Engineering maths book which is quite good if you are studying
> the course in a class but this is not what I will be doing.
>
> Any ideas, thoughts, recommendations?

Try the yellow SUMS books,

Introductory Mathematics: Algebra and Analysis byt Geoff Smith is witty
and a good book...

and other sums books, they are all bright yellow and generally pretty
good...

Anton's calculus is a 1+1=2 -> advanced calc book, pretty good

have fun,

SteveC steve at fractalus.com http://www.fractalus.com/steve/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk