[Gllug] mounting smbfs

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Thu Oct 31 14:03:32 UTC 2002

gllug wrote:

> Can anyone help me with this?  I have samba 2.2 running on mandrake 8
> with a XP Pro network.  I can mount some of the XP shares and browse
> read write etc but I really want to be able to mount the shared drives
> C and D on the clients as I wish to backup the entire network from the
> samba server. The DRIVE_C (C:) shares for example are visible and
> mountable with any of the M$ clients are not visioble or mountable in
> samba although shared subdirectories and SharedDocuments are visable
> and mountable.... does anyone have any ideas or experience of this

XP's file sharing may be faster, but in operation it is timewasting.

I suggest setting a basic user with a public password for the public
shares and using that.  I am not sure what type of authentication XP
uses; however it seems to like to have a username and password even to
browse public shares.

Kind regards
Xander

--
	"I thought you were trying to get into shape."
	"I am. The shape I've selected is a triangle."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk