[Gllug] ntl cable modem

michael norman micnorman at lineone.net
Thu Oct 3 18:39:00 UTC 2002

Hi all

Tomorrow week i'm having ntl home broadband installed.  I intend to let them
set it up in w98 and then set it up from Linux (SuSE8.0 but I hope 8.1 by
then).

I gather from some googling (the rep I asked about how it connects said it
just connects to your pc) that ntl will bring a device that connects via usb.
Some more googling about cable modems in Linux suggests that I have to
install an ethernet card, connect the modem to that using dhcp and then tell
ntl that I need to register its mac address.

So my questions are :

Anybody using this service with linux, preferably SuSE ?

Can you confirm my understanding as above ?

Is ther a recommende ethernet card ?

Are ther any other issues I should be aware of ?

How good is the service.

I'll be very grateful for any help with this

TIA

Mike

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk