[Gllug] ntl cable modem

John Southern john at sinoda.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 3 18:47:12 UTC 2002

Michael Norman wrote:
> I gather from some googling (the rep I asked about how it connects said it
> just connects to your pc) that ntl will bring a device that connects via
> usb. Some more googling about cable modems in Linux suggests that I have to
> install an ethernet card, connect the modem to that using dhcp and then
> tell ntl that I need to register its mac address.
> Anybody using this service with linux, preferably SuSE ?
> Can you confirm my understanding as above ?
> Is ther a recommende ethernet card ?
> Are ther any other issues I should be aware of ?
> How good is the service.
> I'll be very grateful for any help with this

Depends whether you have the TV service or not.
If yo do then settop box has a etherport that you connect to a NIC with
standard cable. Some boxes have a "X" marked above the socket in which case
us a crossover cable.

NTL works fine One power out for two hours in about a year 'cos local
substation caught fire.
Status is on http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/lookup/default.asp
No problem with SuSE.
Any card that Linux supported. I have 3Com 3x509's, and digital 21140's
If you change NIC's you need to reregister the MAC address.
When they turn on the service, power everything down for 30seconds so
everything resets. Then DHCP will activate next time you power on.
New MAC address gives a 10.0.x.x until registered.
Masquerading info on
http://www.networklab.co.uk/cmodem/
Best site for info
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/