[Gllug] Help: Can't get Palm to synchronize with Linux PC

Eric Lee ericlee at labourstart.org
Thu Oct 10 15:59:33 UTC 2002

I'm writing to ask for your help in getting my new Linux PC to
synchronize with my Palm PDA.

I'm using a Palm IIIe, running v 3.1.1 of the Palm OS.  I know that the
PDA is fine, because I can synchronize using its cradle to my old
Windows PC.  The cradle goes to a serial port, not USB.  The HotSync
software is version 3.0.

On the Linux PC, I'm running Red Hat 7.3.  I've got 2 serial ports, and
I've been trying to synchronize using either Ximian Evolution 1.03 or
J-Pilot 0.99.2.

Both of these rely on Gnome-Pilot, and I have gnome-pilot 0.1.64-3.
When I verify the gnome-pilot package using GnoRPM, I am told that there
are no problems found.

Gnome Pilot is apparently dependent upon having pilot-link, and I have
version 0.9.5-13 of this software, and this too is verified as having no
problems by GnoRPM.

In other words, all the requisite software and hardware seem to be in
place.

I have tested and found that my serial ports are called /dev/ttyS0 and
/dev/ttyS1.  I have tried every combination of these two, and /dev/pilot
as well.

But no matter what I do, when I click on Hot Sync, nothing at all
happens.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much.

Eric

--
Eric Lee
ICT Co-ordinator, Labour and Society International

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk