[Gllug] decent quality, cheap printer

Vidar Hokstad vidar at hokstad.name
Thu Oct 24 11:09:25 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 11:52, Stig Brautaset wrote:
> I don't know how much to expect to pay for a printer, but can probably
> afford something around a £100, maybe a bit more. If there's a major
> leap up in quality if I fork out, say, 50% more, then feel free to
> suggest that.
>
> I'd prefer a networked printer (but I expect it to be too expensive) or
> a usb one. Parallel port can do in a pinch, but it's for a laptop, so
> anything that needs to be connected at boot time is a no no. Oh, and I
> run Linux exclusively here, so it has to work flawlessly with Linux.

I never thought I'd say this, but the cheaper Lexmark inkjets might be
a reasonable option... They've gone from completely ignoring Linux to
supplying Linux drivers on their website and even printing Tux on the
boxes of those of their printers that have Linux support. Their Linux
drivers include a program to change printer settings like print quality
etc.

You can get reasonable quality printers from them with USB interface for
down to about 25 pounds. Expect the major cost factor to be ink
cartridges and not the printer itself though. And their 25 pound printer
(whatever it's called again) is _slow_.

Vidar

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk