[Gllug] RE: [GLUG] Postfix nightmares

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Mon Oct 21 12:25:59 UTC 2002

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 12:50:56PM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 12:32:35PM +0100, itsbruce at uklinux.net wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 12:14:55PM +0100, Neil Fryer wrote:
> > > Hi Hendrik
> > >
> > > I tried that, and here's the output from that, and this looks ok to me, or
> > > am I way off here?
> >
> Ah, now I can.   Your DNS details have been recently entered, which
> means that they'll take a while to propagate round the rest of the Net.
> But if dig can see onetwosnap.com from the mail server and yet Postfix
> reports DNS errors then the mail server isn't set up properly.
>
> One think that occurs to me is that Postfix runs some services within a
> chroot jail, with their own copies of resolv.conf and other
> files from /etc.  It'll be somewhere like /var/spool/postfix/etc.  Check
> Postfix's own copy of resolv.conf to see that it is the same as
> /etc/resolv.conf.  They may have become out of sync if you installed
> postfix before configuring your system.

Postfix should not be run chrooted unless you understand most of what is
going on in /etc/postfix/master.cf.  If you want to check to see if
you want a simple way to check if any of postfix's services are chrooted
go into master.cf and search for "chroot" there is a table half way down
which set that variable.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk